Happy September friends! Fall is in an arms reach and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Will fall season comes pumpkin everything. Pumpkin spice and everything nice – that’s the saying, right? Many will get in line at Starbucks for their beloved pumpkin spice latte. Honestly, I’m not a fan. I tried to be, I really did. It’s a bit sad because I typically love just about anything with pumpkin in it’s name. Just like so many things I’ve done, I wanted to find a way to make it on my own and to make something that actually tasted good! No offense you Starbucks pumpkin latte fienes.
Here’s what I came up with and oh my goodness it’s yummy!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. pure pumpkin puree
- 1 Tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee
- whip cream (optional)
- Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a small pan. Cook on the stove top on medium heat, stirring often or just microwave in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Microwave until the milk is hot, 1-2 minutes. Whisk vigorously until the milk mixture is foamy, about 30 seconds. Pour the espresso or coffee into a large mug and add foamed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
- I personally use 1/2 cup of coffee. I like my coffee drink a little bit stronger. You can also strain your milk and pumpkin mixture if you're not a fan of having actual pumpkin puree in your drink.
This recipe makes one coffee. However, I did make up a half a gallon of the milk and pumpkin mixture ahead of time and stored in my fridge. It keeps in your fridge for about a week.
This recipe is just so easy and good, the best part – it actually has real pumpkin in it! Enjoy friends and get to enjoying those delicious fall drinks!